httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rici Lake <r...@ricilake.net>
Subject Re: Flushing lingering CGI processes
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:23:53 GMT

On 31-Mar-05, at 6:16 AM, Nick wrote:

> As a refinement;
> The timer firstly sends a signal to the CGI program which may be
> caught by the CGI program to generate some form of output. This output
> will prove whether the http connection is still open. If the CGI
> program doesn't output anything, a TERM is sent. If still no output
> and process is still running, a KILL is sent.

This seems overly complex to me, and furthermore a bit difficult to
actually implement in a CGI. How is a CGI to know whether it is "hung"?
If it could figure that out, it could kill itself easily enough, but I
believe it to be a computationally intractable problem related to the
halting problem; certainly it is not something I'd like to try in a
bash script. :)

It seems to me that a simple timer would be sufficient; however, it
would be nice to be able to configure individual CGIs (or directories
of CGIs) with longer or shorter timers; I have seen instances of
webapps with CGIs which compute for several minutes, or even longer.
(Presumably, the users of such webapps are very patient or really need
the results.)

Rici