httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: problems with mod_proxy and mod_cache on 2.X
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:28:29 GMT
Michal Mertl wrote:

> I'd like to also have better error messages in case of problems with the
> remote site - e.g. when I go to an address which doesn't have web server
> running on it I get 404 instead of some message saying "connection
> refused/timed out" or something. Do I have something configured wrong or
> is it a problem with mod_proxy/mod_cache?

An error 404 indicates the resource doesn't exist. If a 404 was given
when the site was not available, the admin would be sent on a wild goose
chase trying to figure out why the file (or whatever) was missing, when
the real error was that the server wasn't running. The error codes have
very well defined meanings, and cannot be changed.

The human readable text that comes with the error message is definitely
improvable (if there is such a word), if you have specific examples of
error messages that are too short or too brief, post examples here.

Regards,
Graham