httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Hagerty <matt...@mundomateo.com>
Subject Log entries larger than PIPE_BUF may interleave?
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 04:50:42 GMT
Greetings,

I'm writing an external logging program and I would like to use the pipe
option.  I was looking at mod_log_config.c (about line 878) two see how
log entries longer than PIPE_BUF (defined by POSIX as 512 bytes) would
be handled.  I noticed that a *single log entry* longer than PIPE_BUF is
simply written in it's entirety, and therefor may interleave with other
log entries.  It would seem to me that log entries longer than PIPE_BUF,
when writing to a pipe, would either have to be truncated or discarded
all together.  Is there some other mechanism in place that I am missing
that ensures each log entry is written completely, even when writing to
pipes?

Thanks,
Matthew