httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: do we still want sendfile enabled with our default conf files?
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:59:32 GMT

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> These seem like broken OSes and not a suitable justification to disable
> sendfile.  We should fix the code - perhaps by teaching APR not to enable the
> sendfile-variants on these buggy platforms - not disable it entirely.  For
> those platforms that don't have bugs, disabling sendfile would be a ridiculous
> performance hit.  -1.  -- justin

If that could be done, it would be great.  But I think it would be
difficult/impossible.  It certainly can't be done at compile-time or
run-time, since the things that break sendfile are often dependent on
the filesystem that hosts the content.  And my impression (based on
limited knowledge) is that it can't be done at request-time because the
sendfile call sometimes doesn't return useful error conditions on failure.

And note that unscientific observation leads me to believe that a very
significant portion of win32 users cannot use apache "out of the box"
because of this setting.

Joshua.