httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:48:18 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Fascinating reading (see the bottom two tables of these pages:
>
> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200501/srvch.html?server=Apache&revision=Apache%2F1.3.33
>
> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200501/srvch.html?server=Apache&revision=Apache%2F2.0.52
>
> What is notable is that the number of users adopting 1.3.33 in place of 2.0 far outweighs
the number moving from 1.3 to 2.0.

> One could argue that we aren't pushing 2.x releases out fast enough.
>
> I'd argue the opposite, we aren't refining 2.x sufficiently for folks to garner an advantage
over using 1.3.  It simply isn't more effective for them to use 2.0 (having tried both.)

> Consider this as we prepare to announce to the world 2.1-beta.  Are folks going to be
more impressed with 2.1-beta (in spite of it's wrinkles that a beta always introduces) than
what they used before?

> For anyone who wants to argue that this is a PHP-caused anomaly, note also
> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200501/apachemods.html
>
> And in sunny news, about 9.6% of domains are hosted on Apache/2[...],
> with another 14.24% of Apache users not revealing their version
> (1.x vs 2.x).

FWIW, I have yet to run 2.x in anger. Not sure why you find this puzzling.