httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] (httpd-2.0) Wed Mar 9 23:45:36 2005
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:06:21 GMT
Brad Nicholes wrote:

>   For 2.0 auth_ldap and mod_ldap it will probably forever remain
>experimental.  There have been a lot of changes that have gone into the
>2.1 version that IMO allowed it to graduate from experimental to a
>standard module.  Most of these patches will never be backported to 2.0.
> In fact Josh's patch will probably not be backported (although it is
>simple enough that it could be) simply because the two code bases have
>become so different that it is difficult to backport anything.  In most
>cases a backport is actually a rewrite.
>   For this reason, I am ++1 for any effort to get 2.1/2.2 to BETA and
>released.  Even if the latest "Multiple AAA provider" discussion has to
>wait for 2.4.  We need exposure for the new authnz_ldap and util_ldap
>modules as well as the new auth module structure itself.

Agreed on all points *except* that we *really* need multiple LDAP
providers as soon as possible.  Thus if there is any way to get this
into 2.2 that would be *very* helpful.

Well, I'd also like to see Josh's patch back in 2.0.x as we'll have to
continue patching it into each and every Apache 2.0.x build ourselves if
it is not merged into 2.0.x.  [I don't like leaving crashes around in
executables we ship when they are so easily amended.]

--
Jess Holle