httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Burry <dbu...@tagnet.org>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:07:38 GMT
Dependancy on third party modules still prevents us from upgrading from
1.3 to 2.0.... or at least makes the the drawbacks of upgrading more
than the benefits....  That's the main holdup for us.

For instance, mod_perl (and a few custom scripts that use the API
extensively), mod_php (all those non-thread-safe libraries everyone
demands nullifies the benefits of multi-threading), mod_dynamo (we're
stuck with an older version until an enormous application we wrote on
top of it is massively overhauled, by us), mod_webobjects (legacy code
here too, should just go away someday, but it keeps working
unfortunately), etc...  Not all these third party modules are API-stable
and/or released as 2.0 (mod_perl is *finally* getting kind of close
looks like, RC4, woo hoo), and we'd need to upgrade all our code that
relies on them....

For what?  for a minimal amount of footprint improvement?  Seriously, in
many cases, throwing a little more hardware at 1.3 is a lot cheaper than
sinking so many engineers into all that.  1.3 still works pretty well!

A very clean fresh install, with no third party modules, and no legacy
code support necessary.... sure, we'd use 2.0!  But that's not reality
for us yet.  We'll migrate eventually, just takes a while.

This is very much unlike that old piece of crap (Netscape server) we
used before Apache 1.3 several years ago... we were dying with it... 1.3
was so awesome back then, it was our savior!  And it still is pretty
awesome!

Dave