httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <I...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Actively Promoting Apache 2
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:30:44 GMT
The biggest hurdle 2.0 has had to face IMO is:
- 1.3 isn't broken
- we run 1.3 already
- module XYZ only runs on 1.3
- 2.0 doesn't do anything that 1.3 doesn't do anyway

What I would suggest for your marketing campaign would be to write and
submit several technical articles about apache2 and how its new features
and speed can help you save money, reduce administration time, and
enable a whole heap of new features from already written modules which
you would have had to custom develop yourself in 1.3.

Also I would start discussing with some of the other 1.3-only module
writers out there on how to port their stuff to 2.0, or port it for them.

Marketing is about knowing your customers, and servicing their needs. It
is not about selling products or brainwashing ;-)

--Ian