httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:33:33 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:

>Paul A Houle said:
>

>>      I think of all the features that web site authors and developers
>>need that still don't exist in mainstream web servers;  part of this
>>is in the area of "content management" and another major are is
>>authentication -- pretty much any serious interactive web site needs
>>a cookie-based authentication system with the features seen on big
>>sites like amazon.com and yahoo!  and one of the reasons there is so
>>little code reuse on the web is that every application winds up
>>impementing it's own authentication system;  if there was something
>>really good built into a market-leading web server,  this picture
>>would change completely.
>>

>The trouble with the authentication problem is that the credentials used
>for authentication are often used for way more than just finding out
>whether a user has access. That said, this is definitely a very useful
>addition.
>
>Something like an auth module that can do "form based" auth, in addition
>to "basic" and "digest" etc would probably be very useful.
>
>Regards,
>Graham
>--

Also a module (for Apache 2, not 1.3) that could use multiple LDAP
repositories -- and not for failover, but for separate user communities
-- all for a single resource/directory would be *very* helpful.

Right now, you have to use arcane LDAP "standards" for
chaining/referral, replication, etc -- which don't hold up between
multiple organizations and LDAP vendors so well -- or use some expensive
add on.

--
Jess Holle