httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: do we still want sendfile enabled with our default conf files?
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:27:54 GMT
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:12:50PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:47:08AM -0500, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > +1, as before.
> >
> > From the users' perspective, sendfile results in unexplained corruption
> > or uninterpretable error messages pretty much any time a network
> > filesystem is used to host content (and random other times on win32).
>
> Judging by my inbox over the last year, similar behaviour on Linux with
> IPv6 is becoming more and more prevalant, as adoption ramps up. So
> a default of off would be a very great help there too.

These seem like broken OSes and not a suitable justification to disable
sendfile.  We should fix the code - perhaps by teaching APR not to enable the
sendfile-variants on these buggy platforms - not disable it entirely.  For
those platforms that don't have bugs, disabling sendfile would be a ridiculous
performance hit.  -1.  -- justin