httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 2.1.3 as beta
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:57:44 GMT
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:19:45AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 07:22 AM 3/6/2005, Sander Striker wrote:
> >I assume we are in agreement that the current AAA discussion shouldn't
> >hold up moving to 2.2 either.
>
> Absolutely it does.  Either 2.1-dev has made implementing this
> worse (my essentially workable proposal for 2.0 would no longer
> work at all, with no workaround) or 2.1-dev has made implementing
> such a feature possible, even trivial, even if it's not part of
> the httpd-2.2 core.  Suggesting we push out 2.2 'as is, whatever'
> would be like having shoved out either Ryan's or Greg's original
> filter stack without the group coming to concensus (and best of
> breed solution.)

I believe that analogy is completely without merit.

The filter stack is at the heart of httpd's module design.  The AAA
functionality that is being discussed is relatively minor and the specific
issue that has been raised has *never* been present before.

When we come to agreement upon a solution for the AAA issue, then, per my
proposal previously sent to dev@httpd, with 3 +1s we can change the API in the
beta series.  Yet, I don't believe *any* proposal or suggestion in the AAA
threads so far makes changes the API in any way - it only adds functionality.

Currently, we are being held up by gunpoint because you want to wait for a
perfect beta.  By definition, a perfect release should be a GA not a beta!
So, I reiterate that this one minor issue should not be holding us up from a
beta.  This AAA code has been in the tree for *years* and you are just now
complaining about a feature that has never existed?  I kindly ask that you
please stop getting in the way of forward progress.  -- justin