httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Actively Promoting Apache 2
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:23:31 GMT

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Perhaps another plan is to add a section giving real reasons why to
> upgrade to Apache 2, and potentially publicise that. "We have MPMs" means
> nothing to the webmaster. "Apache 2 can run XXX% faster under Solaris
> using worker" is far more useful information.

I think this happens by itself - slowly but surely I find that for new
sites; or olds sites you are revisting, we are getting to that point where
it is cheaper to migrate to 2.0 than to keep 1.3 patched up with little
hacks to do MPM like things, special auths, clever proxy/pipelines and
what not - which is in 2.0 in some for by default. Just give it another
one or two years and you simply take a 2.x naturally.

Why push - gravity eventually wins.

Dw.