httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Wayne S. Frazee" <wfra...@wynweb.net>
Subject Re: Actively Promoting Apache 2
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:41:35 GMT
Ian Holsman writes:

> Also I would start discussing with some of the other 1.3-only module
> writers out there on how to port their stuff to 2.0, or port it for them.

Ian, your note on apache promotion via whitepaper is well taken.  Is anyone
aware of existing papers on the subject (specifically, advantages to using
apache 2.0 over 1.3)?

Two things:

1) mod_perl 2.0 - Impact assessement on end-user and server-administrator
upgrades to 2.x?

2) The whole PHP issue.  At this point, is having the full support of the
PHP development community a serious component in 2.x migrations?  I know i
run several 2.x servers (prefork on single-CPU and a couple of dual-CPU
entry level servers) for commercial companies which use PHP-based
applications.  How much PHP functionality is missing with apache 2?
Thread-safe application support only?

And then, solicting opinion:

How close is 2.1 to its first production GA release?  I realize that we are
just now talking promotion to beta but taking a wild guestimate based on
past knowledge of release promotion timeframes....

On a 1 to 5 scale, how important is the 2.1 release over 2.0?  What specific
major feature upgrades does 2.1 provide that you cant do with availible 2.0
and modules?

Wayne S. Frazee
"Any sufficiently developed bug is indistinguishable from a feature."