httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Colm MacCarthaigh <c...@stdlib.net>
Subject Re: Actively Promoting Apache 2
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:14:01 GMT
On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:05:30PM +0000, Wayne S. Frazee wrote:
> Looking for feedback, legal, devils advocate, et al on the concept, if not
> the execution.

I don't think professional, competent Webserver administrators generally
respond well to marketing. In my experience, they (we!) prefer a mix of
technical conservatism and solid real-world testing.

A webserver isn't really that flashy, it's not something that you
interact with all that much outside of the externally indiscernable
ordinary web-usage. Is it really going to benefit from branding,
marketing and so on?

If increasing the usage of Apache 2.0 is a core goal (and I don't really
see why it should be), the quickest easiest way to do it would be to
give it a clicky, checkboxy GUI that the lazy 99% would use just because
it's there, or have it come with a GUI web-interface out of the box.
*shudder*