httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:03:04 GMT
On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 12:02:11AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 03:17 PM 2/28/2005, Paul A. Houle wrote:
> >On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:09:55 +0000, Wayne S. Frazee <wfrazee@wynweb.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >We've got production instances of Apache 2 running on Linux and Solaris,
> >all of which are running PHP on prefork.
> >
> >Honestly,  I don't see a huge advantage in going to worker.  On Linux
> >performance is about the same as prefork,  although I haven't done
> >benchmarking on Solaris.
>
> Oh boy - you don't know *what* you are missing :)  Threads on
> Linux barely differ from distinct processes, while on Solaris
> they are truly lightweight.
>
> Make it a priority to give this a shot, you will be impressed.

Here is a link to some results of a comparison I did between Apache 1.3
and Apache 2.0 on Solaris 7 two years ago.

http://duke.more.net/apache2test/

Here is the executive summary for solaris ;-)

    * Apache 2 reduces server CPU load by 40-50%.
    * Apache 2 uses only 15% of the system ram required by Apache 1.3.
    * Apache 2 HTTP request latency (the time it takes to complete an HTTP request for a remote
client) was also reduced.
    * Apache 2 can scale to handle 2-4 times as many HTTP requests as Apache 1.3.

Regards,

Glenn