httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:18:17 GMT
Paul A Houle said:

>       I think of all the features that web site authors and developers
> need that still don't exist in mainstream web servers;  part of this
> is in the area of "content management" and another major are is
> authentication -- pretty much any serious interactive web site needs
> a cookie-based authentication system with the features seen on big
> sites like amazon.com and yahoo!  and one of the reasons there is so
> little code reuse on the web is that every application winds up
> impementing it's own authentication system;  if there was something
> really good built into a market-leading web server,  this picture
> would change completely.

The trouble with the authentication problem is that the credentials used
for authentication are often used for way more than just finding out
whether a user has access. That said, this is definitely a very useful
addition.

Something like an auth module that can do "form based" auth, in addition
to "basic" and "digest" etc would probably be very useful.

Regards,
Graham