httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Rudd <ed...@omegaware.com>
Subject Re: The use of CORE_PRIVATE
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:56:49 GMT
On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:25:44 +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:

[snip]

> Is it "legal" for third party modules to rely on CORE_PRIVATE in order to gain
> access to functions (and other bits) that would otherwise be out of bounds? For
> instance, I'm trying to rely on functions that help in creating sub-requests,
> such as ap_create_request_config(), which is only available if I define
> CORE_PRIVATE. I'm not sure if that The Right Thing To Do (TM)...

I believe it is more of "you better know what you are doing" while using
these functions and structures.  It isn't like the Linux kernel's
MODULE_LICENSE where if you are GPL you gain access to more of the kernel
then if you are not.  There are no legal ramifications of using the
CORE_PRIVATE as I use it quite a bit in my mod_ftpd module on
outoforder.cc