httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul A. Houle" <>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:41:33 GMT
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:31:19 +0000, Wayne S. Frazee <>

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I have seen much that would purport the
> worker MPM to deliever gains in terms of capacity handling and
> capacity-burst-handling as well as slimming down the resource footprint
> of the Apache 2 server on a running system under normal load conditions.

	Well,  our big production machine has 6G of RAM and never gets close to
running out even in testing when we stacked it up to the (compiled in)
limit of 255 processes.  Under normal operations we have 50 running,
mostly because of keep-alive (helps a lot with the performance of our
cookie-based authentication system) and people downloading moderately big
(>100k) files.

	Even though RAM is pretty cheap,  there probably are people who are more

> I would also like to point out I too have seen inconclusive evidence on
> MPM "advantage".  I think that is part of the problem... without a clear
> business-case-defendable advantage to the features implemented in Apache
> 2... why upgrade?

	Altruism.  If people don't use Apache 2,  then Apache development will
keep going sideways forever.

View raw message