httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul A. Houle" <p...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:17:40 GMT
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:09:55 +0000, Wayne S. Frazee <wfrazee@wynweb.net>
wrote:

> A move to 2.0 or 2.1 will take place gradually over time, I think, once
> PHP can be used with some expectation of stability on a
> non-prefork-MPM.  Note: I am not insinuating PHP is not thread safe, but
> rather many of the elements it works with or relies on are not.  I also
> want to make it clear, I am not blaming the PHP community either. I
> think it is a broader based problem in that commercial projects such as
> company web server implementations and hosting infrastructure packages
> are just not seeing enough value in the move to 2.0 to justify the
> development expenditures.

	We've got production instances of Apache 2 running on Linux and Solaris,
all of which are running PHP on prefork.

	Honestly,  I don't see a huge advantage in going to worker.  On Linux
performance is about the same as prefork,  although I haven't done
benchmarking on Solaris.

	On some of these machines I have a lot of control,  on others I have
people calling me every week wanting me to link something new into PHP.

	If mod_event becomes mainstream,  however,  I'll have a reason to really
want threaded PHP,  since that will give real performance improvements for
static files.  On the other hand,  it might be possible to make a version
of mod_event that uses processes for PHP.