httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Puzzling News
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:31:56 GMT
Fascinating reading (see the bottom two tables of these pages:

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200501/srvch.html?server=Apache&revision=Apache%2F1.3.33

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200501/srvch.html?server=Apache&revision=Apache%2F2.0.52

What is notable is that the number of users adopting 1.3.33 in place of 2.0 far outweighs
the number moving from 1.3 to 2.0.

One could argue that we aren't pushing 2.x releases out fast enough.

I'd argue the opposite, we aren't refining 2.x sufficiently for folks to garner an advantage
over using 1.3.  It simply isn't more effective for them to use 2.0 (having tried both.)

Consider this as we prepare to announce to the world 2.1-beta.  Are folks going to be more
impressed with 2.1-beta (in spite of it's wrinkles that a beta always introduces) than what
they used before?

For anyone who wants to argue that this is a PHP-caused anomaly, note also
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200501/apachemods.html

And in sunny news, about 9.6% of domains are hosted on Apache/2[...],
with another 14.24% of Apache users not revealing their version
(1.x vs 2.x).

Bill