httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Multi-threaded proxy? was Re: re-do of proxy request body handling - ready for review
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:37:53 GMT
Ronald Park wrote:
> I was recently considering a similar patch for mod_proxy along the lines
> of spool_reqbody_cl() method but it would go one step further: spawning
> off a thread to asynchronously read the request into a temp file (or
> files) while the initial thread would continue to stream the io_bufsize
> chunks down the filter chain. This would 'untie' the original client
> and the proxy server in cases where they ran at different speeds (more
> a problem for *large* proxy files where one side or the other could be
> tied up waiting for the slower side for long periods of time... and
> poor Apache caught in the middle).

One thought I have been tossing around for a long time is tying the
proxy code into the Event MPM.  Instead of a thread blocking while it
waits for a backend reply, the backend server's FD would be added to the
Event Thread, and then when the reply is ready, any available worker
thread would handle it, like they do new requests.

This would work well for backend servers that might take a second or two
  for a reply, but it does add at least 3 context switches.  (in some
use cases this would work great, in others, it would hurt performance...)

-Paul