httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 2.1.3 as beta
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:55:01 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz said:

> I disagree because forcing users to separately download APR is a bad thing
> as
> it is a 'core' dependency - you can't build httpd without it.  I don't
> think
> it's reasonable to assume that anyone has APR installed.  Actually, if
> they
> do, it's likely to be APR 0.x due to their OS's use of 2.0.x.  -- justin

As soon as you install httpd + APR in a system location, you no longer can
install subversion + APR in a system location. This was the basis of
getting vendor packaging files (like RPM and PKG) into APR and httpd, so
that there was a system APR and packages that depended on it correctly.

If the user installs httpd in a custom directory, then bundling makes
sense, but if httpd is supposed to go into /usr or /usr/local then
bundling becomes a big problem.

APR has grown up. At some point, APR must graduate to be a "system"
library, and I think that time is httpd v2.2.x.

Regards,
Graham