httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 2.1.3 as beta
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:14:09 GMT
--On Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:55 PM +0200 Graham Leggett
<minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> As soon as you install httpd + APR in a system location, you no longer can
> install subversion + APR in a system location. This was the basis of
> getting vendor packaging files (like RPM and PKG) into APR and httpd, so
> that there was a system APR and packages that depended on it correctly.
>
> If the user installs httpd in a custom directory, then bundling makes
> sense, but if httpd is supposed to go into /usr or /usr/local then
> bundling becomes a big problem.
>
> APR has grown up. At some point, APR must graduate to be a "system"
> library, and I think that time is httpd v2.2.x.

I'm just not convinced that folks will have APR 1.x as a system library at
this point.  If APR were optional, I might tend to agree.  However, it's a
mandatory dependence.  I really dislike all those GNOME packages that require
a whole bunch of implicit dependencies that they never tell you about.
Bundling the mandatory dependencies as a fallback is goodness.

I would be happy to switch the find_ap{ru}.m4 to try to look for an installed
APR/APR-util first if --with-apr{-util} is not specified.  I'm shocked it
doesn't do that already.  Would that alleviate your concerns?  -- justin