httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Wayne S. Frazee" <wfra...@wynweb.net>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:08:26 GMT
Paul A. Houle writes:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:31:19 +0000, Wayne S. Frazee <wfrazee@wynweb.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Correct me if I am wrong, but I have seen much that would purport the
>> worker MPM to deliever gains in terms of capacity handling and
>> capacity-burst-handling as well as slimming down the resource footprint
>> of the Apache 2 server on a running system under normal load conditions.
>
> Even though RAM is pretty cheap,  there probably are people who are more
> constrained [than 6 GB of ram].

1) Embedded and Near-Emebedded systems would have a VERY good reason to move
to smaller footprint configurations.

2) Entry Level servers, while not hugely limited by memory in most cases do
tend to beenfit in environments where there are multiple servers hosted on
the box.  (Apache / MySQL, Apache / PostgreSQL, et al).

> Altruism.  If people don't use Apache 2,  then Apache development will
> keep going sideways forever.

Now if only I could get Altruism to pay my bills, we would all be in good
shape :)

Also, I would like to put forward:

Core directives to definitively control the amount of memory, et al, that
Apache 2 uses would be a DEFINITE functional upgrade-driver for some
businesses and applications to upgrade to 2.0.  Apache has certainly come a
long way from the little control availible in 1.3 but more is needed.  At
present, processes spun off of apache threads or child processes can be
limited but not the actual footprint of apache itself, without using
mod_perl...that I am aware of, anyway.  I have done quite a bit of web
searching on the matter and from the results, I would think that I would not
be the first to suggest this.

Is there something that already handles this without using a third party
module?

Is there any apache development project in progress for 2.1 or future commit
to 2.0 which is working on implementing this?

Wayne S. Frazee
"Any sufficiently developed bug is indistinguishable from a feature."