httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Wayne S. Frazee" <wfra...@wynweb.net>
Subject Re: Puzzling News
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:31:19 GMT
Paul A. Houle writes:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:09:55 +0000, Wayne S. Frazee <wfrazee@wynweb.net>
> wrote:
>
>> A move to 2.0 or 2.1 will take place gradually over time, I think, once
>> PHP can be used with some expectation of stability on a  non-prefork-MPM.
>>  Note: I am not insinuating PHP is not thread safe, but  rather many of
>> the elements it works with or relies on are not.  I also  want to make it
>> clear, I am not blaming the PHP community either. I  think it is a
>> broader based problem in that commercial projects such as  company web
>> server implementations and hosting infrastructure packages  are just not
>> seeing enough value in the move to 2.0 to justify the  development
>> expenditures.
>

> Honestly,  I don't see a huge advantage in going to worker.  On Linux
> performance is about the same as prefork,  although I haven't done
> benchmarking on Solaris.
> If mod_event becomes mainstream,  however,  I'll have a reason to really
> want threaded PHP,  since that will give real performance improvements for
> static files.  On the other hand,  it might be possible to make a version
> of mod_event that uses processes for PHP.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have seen much that would purport the worker
MPM to deliever gains in terms of capacity handling and
capacity-burst-handling as well as slimming down the resource footprint of
the Apache 2 server on a running system under normal load conditions.  Each
of these improvements would be a definite plus to the Apache web server on
high availibility and high usage systems/clusters.

Again, I dont have alot of experience with this myself as I have run the
worker MPM almost exclusively on statically served sites and work far more
with prefork-based apache implementations.

I would also like to point out I too have seen inconclusive evidence on MPM
"advantage".  I think that is part of the problem... without a clear
business-case-defendable advantage to the features implemented in Apache
2... why upgrade?