httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r126224 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/support/check_forensic
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:03:22 GMT
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 03:55:33PM +0000, Joe Orton wrote:
> Yes, it might have side-effects like /etc/csh.login running yppasswd and
> prompting on /dev/tty to change an expired NIS password ;) It's not safe
> to use at all.

How exactly do we safely know if a program exists then?  We can't execute
mktemp or tempfile as they have bad side effects by default (i.e. they create
the temporary file), too.

I think walking through $PATH and checking the x bit is overkill for this
little script.  There's a fine line and I think this one might just be
crossed.  -- justin