httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject ProxyPassReverse brokenness
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:18:49 GMT

A while ago, Neil Hillard posted about a problem with a reverse proxy setup:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=110373067819763&w=2

The problem is with ProxyPassReverse:

(1) ProxyPassReverse is documented as working inside <Location>
(2) ... but ProxyPassReverse is implemented on the *server* config.
So, although it is syntactically correct within <Location> due to a hack,
it doesn't actually work there beyond the trivial case.  It loses the
merge_dir_config, and instead collects all <Location>s in a single
array without any means of distinguishing them.

The simple fix is to move raliases to the dir_config so it supports <Location>
by the usual means.  Any reason I shouldn't patch it do do that?

Otherwise we would need to keep a record on the proxy_alias,
which rather defeats the object of having the per-dir config!

I'm surprised this has gone unnoticed for so long!

--
Nick Kew