httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: 2.1.3 mod_disk_cache partial responses
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:34:45 GMT
--On Wednesday, February 2, 2005 12:25 AM +1100 dean
<dean_maslic@swiftdsl.com.au> wrote:

> My first thought was that Firefox has an issue. Then I installed 2.0.53
> as a cache-proxy BUT I couldn't reproduce the above, Google logo loads
> everytime.
> Another simple page I tried is news.com.au/wireless.
> Steps 1 -3 are same
> 4. refresh page -> no css applied (liveheaders shows 200 OK), logo
> appears broken (liveheaders show 206 Partial Response)
> 5. delete temp int. files in IE6
> 6. enter www.news.com.au/wireless in browser bar -> logo loads fine but
> no css applied
> 7. hit refresh button -> page loads fine with css & logo
> As before, I couldn't reproduce this with 2.0.53
>
> Can you try reproduce this behaviour with 2.1.3 ??

My hunch is that you are being hit by mod_proxy brokenness not mod_cache
issues.  2.0.53 uses the 'stable' mod_proxy, while 2.1.3 has a rewritten
mod_proxy - which still has significant issues.  For the most part,
2.0.53's mod_disk_cache (i.e. from SVN 2.0.x branch) is mostly equivalent
to 2.1.3's mod_disk_cache.  So, if it works with 2.0.53 from SVN and
doesn't work with 2.1.3 from SVN, then I think mod_proxy is a more likely
culprit.

I know that there were some fixes recently made to mod_proxy that might
help.  So, what revision of 2.1.3 are you trying?

I know that Mladen fixed some race conditions, and I know Sander and I have
been making some recent commits in the last week to fix other brokenness.
And, there's still stuff that we know just doesn't work: i.e. 'ProxyPass
/foo/bar !'.  So, I don't think I can recommend 2.1.3 for proxy
functionality as it needs a lot more care and feeding before it is usable.

Thanks!  -- justin