httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bojan Smojver <>
Subject The use of CORE_PRIVATE
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:25:44 GMT
I'm trying to understand the meaning of this #define a bit better. It appears in
publicly available header files (by that I mean installed in a system wide
location) and it basically allows access to otherwise invisible things inside
Apache. Several modules in the Apache distribution are defining CORE_PRIVATE to
gain such access.

Is it "legal" for third party modules to rely on CORE_PRIVATE in order to gain
access to functions (and other bits) that would otherwise be out of bounds? For
instance, I'm trying to rely on functions that help in creating sub-requests,
such as ap_create_request_config(), which is only available if I define
CORE_PRIVATE. I'm not sure if that The Right Thing To Do (TM)...

View raw message