httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Max Bowsher" <>
Subject Re: Proposal: Make --with-program-name NOT rename httpd.conf, but DO rename
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:00:10 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 02:13 PM 2/22/2005, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>> No, this makes no sense, if I build httpd13 and httpd2 I expect
>>> two different conf files.
>> Then, how do you manage the other files that apache installs into the
>> same
>> directory as httpd.conf ?
> We should consider this.  Metadata, e.g. mime-types shouldn't differ
> between 1.3 and 2.0 - other than that, we should review.

My point is: _All_ the layouts in config.layout, install the config files to
a package specific directory. The only case you would varied config file
names is if you were explicitly forcing the files to go directly into /etc.

Since the list of files is:

It's fairly unlikely that you would want all that going into anything but a
package specific directory.

>> And, what do you do about the pidfiles, which both default to
>> /var/run/ ?
> I can get behind this, yes.  I thought you ment to have the httpd.conf
> file remain constant (which I dislike), and only vary the pid file name.
> If you mean to vary the pidfile name, that's great.  Users can always
> override with their conf options.

I do want the httpd.conf file name to remain constant, but since that seems
more controversial than varying the pidfile name, the two changes can be
considered independently.

View raw message