httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: LimitRequestBody directive for HTTP response 413 error
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:20:14 GMT
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:27:35 -0800 (PST), Joe Smith <> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff,
> In plugin config in websphere, PostSizeLimit="10000000", so this is only
> 10MB. Looks like this is the issue. Because I couldn't upload a file > 10MB.
> What do you think?

yes... you or somebody else has configured the WebSphere plug-in to
reject request bodies which are larger than that 10000000 bytes...
for your file upload of size > 10000000 bytes, this value for
PostSizeLimit  will result in the WebSphere plug-in returning a 413
error to the web server (in your case, IHS), and the web server will
relay the 413 error back to the client

>Because I was using TCP Monitor tool to monitor the HTTP
> response, and I got the following, that's why I think this is Apache Web
> Server problem.
> > > By the way, this is the HTTP response:
> > > HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
> > > Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 00:25:50 GMT
> > > Server: IBM_HTTP_SERVER/ Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)

That web server is IBM HTTP Server, not Apache.  The "Apache/1.3.26"
portion of the server string indicates the level of Apache on which
that particular level of IBM HTTP Server was based.

View raw message