httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Irritation - detailed error logging
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 18:23:49 GMT
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:50:27 -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> This ancient bug;
>
>   http://archive.apache.org/gnats/73
>
> was addressed very early in httpd-2.0  However - it makes very
> detailed error logs almost impossible to read(!)
>
> When I run a mod_aspdotnet debug build at loglevel debug, the
> module spews out over 100 lines per request.  To have ", referrer: ..."
> spewed on every line of debugging output is insane.

no reason to append referrer for debug lines...

> For that matter, why referrer:?  Why not user:?  Why not other
> fields that might be useful?

frequent messages on real site (not a development site) are due to bad
links (file not found and probably others)...  referrer can be nice...
 maybe it should have been added by the caller of ap_log_rerror() for
messages which were likely to be triggered by bad links???  or maybe
just eliminating it from debug lines is reasonable improvement

> It strikes me that this is minimally useful and pollutes the
> error log - but that the idea (for certain users) of collecting
> custom information would be quite useful.
>
> What about dropping this patch, and adding a new directive,
> ErrorLogAppend {formatstring} allowing users to append any
> variables to the error log lines?

pid and thread id in a fixed location would be nice too

-/-

consider this:

. make current referrer implementation a bit more practical
. defer custom formatting of error log messages to a module, changing
existing error log hook if necessary to provide necessary capabilities