httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com>
Subject Re: Working on some load balancing methods
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:08:24 GMT

On Jan 11, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Paul Querna wrote:
>>
>>> -There is an external programe (started like a piped log program)
>>> that
>>> does "active" health checking. Every x seconds it checks all the
>>> "origin" servers and records their status in shared memory.
>>
>> This is more or less what mod_backhand does. (it is more passive,
>> waiting for a active server to send out a multicast or an ethernet
>> broadcast saying that it is alive, along with stats.)
>>

> I've found that in most places, passive is more acceptable than
> active... But even so, many places don't like these sorts of
> broadcasts at all. There is a big resistance to agent-based
> solutions, especially when living on a web server. One reason
> why the "current" proxy lb is attractive is that it is quite
> self-contained, without packets being spewed all over the
> network. I'm not saying that a mod_backhand-ish solution
> isn't a good thing to add to our utility belt, but it should
> not stop the "basic" lb capability within mod_proxy.

It is a trivial change to make mod_backhand not can about announcements
as well as not make them.

Even more so if it was integrated with mod_proxy more extensively.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth