httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Irritation - detailed error logging
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:50:27 GMT
This ancient bug;

  http://archive.apache.org/gnats/73

was addressed very early in httpd-2.0  However - it makes very
detailed error logs almost impossible to read(!)

When I run a mod_aspdotnet debug build at loglevel debug, the
module spews out over 100 lines per request.  To have ", referrer: ..."
spewed on every line of debugging output is insane.

For that matter, why referrer:?  Why not user:?  Why not other
fields that might be useful?

It strikes me that this is minimally useful and pollutes the
error log - but that the idea (for certain users) of collecting
custom information would be quite useful.

What about dropping this patch, and adding a new directive,
ErrorLogAppend {formatstring} allowing users to append any
variables to the error log lines?

Bill