httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Working on some load balancing methods
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:53:41 GMT
Brian Akins wrote:
> Mladen Turk wrote:
>
>> Sure, the general idea was to allow different lb methods.
>> I've started to collect the transferred for various
>> protocols to be able to do a traffic balancing.
>

> So, there will be an API to allow developers to develop load balancers
> without having to muck with the proxy code?  If so, yes!  If not, it
> would rule.
>

> What we did is write our own proxy module because of limitations in the
> 2.0 one.  Basically it's like this:
>
> -There is an external programe (started like a piped log program) that
> does "active" health checking. Every x seconds it checks all the
> "origin" servers and records their status in shared memory.

This is more or less what mod_backhand does. (it is more passive,
waiting for a active server to send out a multicast or an ethernet
broadcast saying that it is alive, along with stats.)

> -In our proxy module, it uses the information in the shared memory to
> maintain a apr_reslist of connections.  It it gets an error before
> sending data to the client (one origin server hiccup'ed, for example),
> it will apr_reslist_invalidate that connection, apr_reslist_acquire
> another and try again.  It will do this x times.

I like this approach. It makes sense in most situations to try multiple
reslist connections.

> -only after x "errors" will an error actually be returned to the client.
>
> -because of this, we could not use mod_proxy_http and use our own http
> client code.

I don't see why with todays framework it couldn't re-use most of proxy_http.

> Does this sound doable within the 2.1/2.2 proxy lb?  Or do will we have
> to continue to maintain our own proxy?  This functionality is very
> important for us.

This sounds like a well designed module for your needs, but I think most
of the features could be well used in other places.  Could your module
be made open source, and used as a starting point for us?

-Paul Querna