httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dumb APR_BUCKET_BUFF_SIZE question
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:27:46 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:
> It might be.  We've considered having it be configurable before.  There
> are just a lot of implications in changing the value; for example, it
> affects the memory footprint of the server, it affects how much data gets
> read in to memory per read() call on a file bucket (which might alter the
> decision of whether read() or mmap() is preferable, for example), it
> affects how well the data fits into memory pages, and it affects how much
> data is buffered in one block for the scenarios you described.  There are
> probably others I'm not thinking of right now, too.  Lots of different
> axes that must be considered when trying to pick an optimal value.  But
> still, if you want to make it configurable, go right ahead.  :)

Right, I saw all the things it affected which was precisely why I
wondered why it wasn't made configurable.  I can see perhaps protecting
users from themselves, but other parts of Apache2 doesn't really follow
that.  The WindowSize config option in mod_deflate would be a very bad
idea to change away from the default of 15, for example.  Anyway, I will
go play a bit with the bucket size on 64-bit boxes.

-Rasmus