httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Clay Webster" <clay.webs...@cnet.com>
Subject RE: Working on some load balancing methods
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:24:31 GMT

Stefan Hueneburg <shu@de.easynet.net> wrote:

> Maybe "least connection count" is also interesting.
>
> However, on Alteon-LB i experienced some kind of weird load pumping
>  when i used "least connection" mode.

We found with our configuration, an Alteon in leastconns LB mode can
"firehose" services if the conns are short-lived HTTP requests.
Traffic will of course look balanced when observed at higher
granularities.  But at the subsecond, it can be very unbalanced.

[Disclaimers on patch levels and sampling rates.]

We find them quite fine for RR paired with good health checks.

--cw

Clay Webster                                   tel:1.908.541.3724
AVP, Platform Infrastructure                  http://www.cnet.com
CNET, Inc. (Nasdaq:CNET)                     mailto:clay@cnet.com