httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Working on some load balancing methods
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:23:01 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:

> > -There is an external programe (started like a piped log program) that
> > does "active" health checking. Every x seconds it checks all the
> > "origin" servers and records their status in shared memory.
>
> This is more or less what mod_backhand does. (it is more passive,
> waiting for a active server to send out a multicast or an ethernet
> broadcast saying that it is alive, along with stats.)

I've found that in most places, passive is more acceptable than
active... But even so, many places don't like these sorts of
broadcasts at all. There is a big resistance to agent-based
solutions, especially when living on a web server. One reason
why the "current" proxy lb is attractive is that it is quite
self-contained, without packets being spewed all over the
network. I'm not saying that a mod_backhand-ish solution
isn't a good thing to add to our utility belt, but it should
not stop the "basic" lb capability within mod_proxy.
    "There 10 types of people: those who read binary and everyone else."