httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Scott MacVicar <sco...@spamcop.net>
Subject How does MPM actually work?
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:01:49 GMT
Hi,

I've been trying to get my head around the MPM module and I realise its
a hybrid of multi-threading and multi-processing. Can someone either
confirm what I'm saying or correct any obvious mistakes.

1 Main httpd process
X server processes
Y child threads

the main httpd process handles the socket connections which passes it to
one of the server processes and once its been processed there any data
to be sent back to the client is handled by one of the child threads?

If so how do you pass data between the different processes, pipes or
shared memory?

I read about the various directives for the mpm module and had a look
through the code but I'm just trying to get a better understanding. If
there is a document somewhere that I've missed that explains this then
apologies.

Cheers,
Scott