httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <>
Subject Re: PCRE warnings while building httpd trunk
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:21:56 GMT

On Dec 20, 2004, at 5:28 AM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> I've seen those warnings when compiling numerous open source projects
> on Mac OS X, no idea what the underlying cause is though.

The reason is that the MacOSX system libraries have regex functions
which have the same names as the ones in PCRE. So, we're running into a
namespace conflict which is fortunately decided in favor of our own
calls. MacOSX has two-level namespace support, where you link
explicitly against symbols in a specific dynamic library (I hear Win32
has something similar), but the libtool that we use to build httpd
turns this feature off since it wants to be able to link against
undefined symbols.

These messages are harmless as far as httpd is concerned.