httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Hackathon during Q1 2005?
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:32:36 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>>
>>Sounds a lot more feasible than travelling to .us for a hack.
>>But I'm wondering what this actually achieves?  Sure, it gets people
>>to focus on Getting Things Done, but a *scheduled* IRC+pastebin-based
>>hackathon could do that without the hassle and cost of travel.
>

> IMHO, a 'virtual hackathon' has been proven not to be effective for us.
> In the past when we've tried those, they've been a dismal failure as so
> few people show up.  The communication latency is also so high (people get
> distracted, bored, conflicting schedules) that a 'virtual hackathon' is
> really little better than the mailing lists we use every day.
>
> I think forcing people to get in the same physical room free from other
> distractions a few times a year (certainly no more than once a quarter!)
> would have good benefits for us as a project.  It'd serve as a forcing
> function for our focus as a group: and that'd be excellent to drive
> innovation here.
>
> As I just said to David, I think the ASF-wide hackathons aren't as
> effective because many people are too over-committed to be able to focus
> on one thing while they are there.

So if all the projects follow your lead, then instead they'll be too
over-committed to attend (since they'll have to go to all these
different hackathons for each project). I don't see how you can win this
one - overcommitted people are overcommitted - they either want to give
you their attention or they don't. If they don't you aren't going to
engineer them into doing it.

So, I'm opposed to project-specific hackathons - its inefficient and
antisocial.

Cheers,

Ben.