httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: Hackathon during Q1 2005?
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:58:50 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

>>>During ApacheCon, a number of us had talked about holding more frequent
>>>face-to-face meetings (or summits or whatever).  Fred is willing to find
>>>a place for us at Apple with space and 'net access.  Fred's suggested
>>>around the week of February 7th, 2005.  That would work for me as well.
>>
>>I agree with the sentiment but this list is httpd specific - is this
>>*really* the right place to debate having a hackathon?
>

> As Paul said, I meant only for this hackathon to be focused on httpd.
>
> If for example, we had an ASF-wide hackathon not held during ApacheCon,
> it'll just increase the 'distraction' on those that participate in
> multiple groups.

Well, the plans that were discussed at the Con were for that very type
of event, NOT a project specific event along the lines you're discussing.

> During ApacheCon, I was frustrated that I kept getting pulled off to do
> infra@ or prc@ stuff instead of being able to focus solely on httpd stuff.
>  (Sander and Greg kept getting pulled out for board stuff as well.)

That's understandable.

> So, I'm very, very strongly in favor of having an httpd-only hackathon.
> Keep it small and focused to minimize distractions.  -- justin

Then may I'd suggest you not use the term "hackathon" :-) Organising an
httpd developer get together is an excellent idea, but the "hackathon"
is slowly turning into a brand and a series of events with all the
baggage that goes with them...

I'm hoping to arrange a hackathon in London sometime around the end of
Feb/start of Mar 2005 (with hopefully another later in the year
somewhere else in the UK). As it's a hackathon it'll be open to all and
won't just be for one project or another.

I realise people will think I'm splitting hairs, but as we move forwards
I think these distinctions will become more and more important.

Also I believe that there will be definately be a 2 day hackthon prior
to ApacheCon europe.

david