httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: yet another autoconf torture
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:17:30 GMT
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 06:39:25AM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> hi folks,
>

> when trying to crosscompile apache, it breaks in libapr configure:
>
> > cannot check setpgrp when crosscompiling
>
> So crosscompiling seems to be impossible. I've tested it on
> 2.0.49 up to 2.0.52.

It is possible to support cross compilation with autoconf-based build
systems.  configure supports this by use of cache variables; standard
practice is to build up a "config.site" file with the correct test
results for the target (e.g. "ac_cv_func_setpgrp_void=yes"), and set
CONFIG_SITE to point at that file.  More work may be needed on the
configure scripts to use AC_CACHE_CHECK appropriately.

But the Makefiles still won't work since they have no separate of host
and target $CC etc, yet need to build and run executables on the host
system in several places.  So there is definitely more work needed
there.

Regards,

joe