httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeroen Massar <jer...@unfix.org>
Subject Re: SSL + name based virtual hosting
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:49:31 GMT
On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 15:44 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > There's a well-known solution to this issue: STARTTLS. When you've
> > written the RFCs and persuaded everyone to adopt them, let us know.
> I dont think that current http can be extended to support this.
> We not just only need a new port for it, also a new uri scheme,
> since the client cannot know if the server supports it.

The 'fools' (ahem) at the IETF also wrote:

RFC 2817 - Upgrading to TLS Within HTTP/1.1

Next to that there is of course IPv6 to solve your coffee pot problem
and if you can show your RIR of choice that you need IPv4's you will get
them too, so stop whining there is enough address space.

Also please note that any one is 'free' to do work for the IETF.
It is an 'open' organization just like most other 'open' organizations.

Greets,
 Jeroen