httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: Branching and release scheduling
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:34:36 GMT
I have to agree with Jim.  Well put!

Brad

>>> jim@jaguNET.com Tuesday, November 16, 2004 5:55:04 PM >>>

On Nov 16, 2004, at 3:16 PM, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> We had a good discussion over lunch today on our release processes
and
> how to have stable releases while making new feature development as
> fun and easy for the geeks as possible.

The is a purely personal POV, and I'm wishing I was at the lunch
because
this addresses something that I've been think and maybe others as
well,
considering a similar Email thread I see from Brad N, so take the
below
as my own opinions.

I find it somewhat hard to get "excited" by 2.x development because
2.1 almost seems like a black hole at times... You put the energy
into the development but have to wait for it to be folded into
an actual version that gets released and used. Now waiting is
good, but sometimes it seems that the backports are slow in getting
approved. I think most developers like, well, if not *immediate*
satisfaction, something more quick than the current
develop-2.1-and-wait-
for-a-long-time-before-folded-into-2.0.

Stability is great, but we should be careful that we don't "unduly"
sacrifice developer energy. This may not be so clear, so feel free
to grab me :)