httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Fwd: Re: [PROPOSAL-VOTE] Adopt lazy consensus for backports...
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:12:53 GMT
moving to dev@ list

>>> nd@perlig.de Tuesday, November 16, 2004 4:29:31 PM >>>
* "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHOLES@novell.com> wrote:

>    During ApacheCon several httpd PMC members got together to discuss
> current issues with the httpd project and to try to find better ways to
> manage the project.  One of the issues that was discussed heavily was
> the current policy of RTC vs CTR.  The feeling of some of the PMC
> members is that the RTC policy as it is currently implemented on the 2.0
> branch, is causing unnecessary overhead which has resulted in the
> slowdown of activity in the httpd project.  One proposal that was made
> would be to adopt a lazy consensus rule.  Basically what this means is
> that when a backport is proposed in the STATUS file, after a period of
> time and if the proposal has not recieved any 0 or -1 votes, it would
> automatically be approved for backport by lazy consensus.  The purpose
> for this proposal is to avoid stagnation of backport proposals in the
> STATUS file simply due to the lack of votes.

I think, the RTC policy for 2.0 is a good thing. It *forces* reviews, which
actually often helped to prevent introducing new bugs (not always though, but
that's probably another issue).

IMHO a better way bring the development further is the suggestion on the dev
list. *absolute* feature freeze on stable branches (except 1.3?), bug fixes
only. Though it would need some time to establish the trust of the community
in so much more versions, I like that idea somehow.

nd
--
Das einzige, das einen Geb├Ąudekollaps (oder auch einen
thermonuklearen Krieg) unbeschadet ├╝bersteht, sind Kakerlaken