httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL-VOTE] Adopt lazy consensus for backports...
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:11:40 GMT
>>> justin@erenkrantz.com Tuesday, November 16, 2004 4:28:38 PM >>>
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 04:08:20PM -0700, Brad Nicholes wrote:
> slowdown of activity in the httpd project.  One proposal that was
made
> would be to adopt a lazy consensus rule.  Basically what this means
is
> that when a backport is proposed in the STATUS file, after a period
of
> time and if the proposal has not recieved any 0 or -1 votes, it
would
> automatically be approved for backport by lazy consensus.  The
purpose
> for this proposal is to avoid stagnation of backport proposals in
the
> STATUS file simply due to the lack of votes.

-1 (vote, not veto).

I think this is a bad idea and would make stable turn into CTR.  And,
that, I
believe jeopardizes the overall quality of the code.  And, I'm not
willing to
take that risk.

If there are a lack of votes for backport, then I believe that is a
sign that
there is not a healthy enough community of people who are able to
review the
code.  I'd like to ensure that we don't create 'islands' of code that
do not
have sufficient people who understand it.  -- justin