httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Towards a generic database connection API
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:08:26 GMT
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Please take a look at DBDI Project.
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20040127225639.GF38394@dansat.data-plan.com
> which already targets Perl6 DBI, Python DBI, Ruby DBI, PHP DBI etc.

Hmmm.

Interesting in principle, but there's not sufficient information at that
URL to determine whether it's useful or relevant.  The description reads
more like a layer on top of [something answering the description of]
libdbi than anything relevant to httpd or APR.  Notwithstanding Tim
Bunce's personal credibility rating, libdbi would seem a better
startingpoint, simply by virtue of the fact that it has a nice clear
set of published APIs.

My goal is simply a thin layer that ties a DBDriver API in to Apache:
a connection (nonthreaded MPMs - trivial) or connection pool (threaded
MPMs - the real purpose) managed by the server, and providing request-
or connection-oriented access to a database handle.  That then becomes
an API that mod_perl et al can trivially bind in to for web apps,
notwithstanding their existing/native DBI/DBD frameworks.  The
reverse is not the case, unless you can convince me otherwise.

Several folks on IRC favour an apr_dbi layer.  That's great, but it's a
different project, and I'd certainly want to look at harnessing existing
DBI projects rather than reinventing that wheel.

--
Nick Kew