httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] mod_example_ipc
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:22:21 GMT
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Sander Temme wrote:

> While I think that the way mod_example_ipc works is the right way to
> access shared resoruces, it could be that I'm severely wrong. If this
> is the case, I hope someone will step up and tell me how to do it
> better.

First comment, it's very thorough regarding the retrying on getting the
mutex.  Great, but IMO returning 503 on EBUSY is also acceptable (my
mod_annot does that).

One thing that does worry me.  A global mutex is too important to take
any chances with.  Instead of
	if (gotlock) unlock it
wouldn't it be marginally safer to register the unlock as a cleanup
on the request pool?  If not in this particular case, then as a matter
of general principle where another error path might happen.

--
Nick Kew