httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: Whitespace strip filter for httpd v2.1
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:18:58 GMT
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> I have attached a small filter module that strips leading whitespace
> from text files. This would typically be used to remove the "indenting"
> whitespace found inside HTML files, resulting in a significant reduction
> in network traffic for some sites. I didn't bother to include trailing
> whitespace removal, as this involved buffering (leading whitespace
> removal requires no buffering).

Well, we've had people submit modules in the past that stripped the
extraneous whitespace from HTML files, and we rejected them.  Check the
archives for messages from a guy named fabio rohrich, who wrote a module
called mod_blank to see why that might have been.  I don't completely
remember the details.

--Cliff